The Assistant Director for Communications and Membership of the Association of International Education Administrators serves as coordinator of the membership program for the association, including recruiting and retaining members, managing and maintaining the member database, processing new membership applications, and developing and implementing membership strategy. This position also directs communications strategy for the Association, including membership and conference promotion, social media, communications related to programs, a biannual newsletter, and other communications-related projects. The Assistant Director for Communications and Membership reports to the Associate Director.
Note: The Association of International Education Administrators is an international professional association of over 800 members from around the United States and in other countries. Members are senior leaders (i.e. Vice Provosts, Vice Presidents, Deans) in international education.
The AIEA Secretariat is located in Durham, NC. Highly qualified remote candidates may be considered. The hiring range for this position is $45,000- $50,000 with a generous benefits package.
Manage Membership Services
- Manage member services and membership processes for AIEA, which includes coordinating and maintaining a membership database consisting of 800+ members, including the collection and organization of member information
- Develop and execute plan for maximizing engagement of members
- Implement new member onboarding process
- Track and report membership data
- Ensure maintenance of up-to-date procedural manuals, directives and related membership files and records.
- Develop goals and strategies to help drive membership renewals, recruitment, retention, and consider new revenue streams for the Association
- Organize and develop new membership procedures to increase accuracy and efficiency
- Serve as second tier for Member Support after the Administrative Assistant
- Coordinate membership marketing campaigns
- Develop and implement member relations plan, including member recruitment/growth, retention, and re-engagement strategies
- Manage AIEA listservs for committees, and professional development programs
- Process member applications as a back-up to the Administrative Assistant; streamline processing procedures with Administrative Assistant
- Oversee transition to new membership platforms as needed
- Recommend CMS platforms if needed;manage relationship with CMS platform and training of other staff
- Make regular member and non-renewed member calls.
- Serve as liaison for Secretariat for Membership Outreach and Awards committee and participate in committee conference calls
- Recruit diverse members from a wide variety of institution types; from within and outside the U.S.; and from a variety of backgrounds.
- Update all membership-related website pages on www.aieaworld.org
- Maintain member listserv and committee listservs
- Develop annual communication plan; implement plan.
- Develop and implement campaigns around AIEA conference, signature programs, publications, awards, leadership nominations, membership, and other events that may arise.
- Develop and maintain lists of potential members, international education organization contacts, and other relevant stakeholder data
- Manage social media accounts for the organization.
- Write and distribute press releases
- Coordinate regular e-blasts to membership and distribution list.
- Maintain frontpage of AIEA website, AIEA resources, Members in the News, Newsletter archive
- Track, analyze, and report on performance of all communications, online advertising, and website, produce reports on this information as needed
- Manage the process of collecting user feedback, both external and internal, to review association communications and promotional messaging
- Manage AIEA archives
- Manage AIEA resources on AIEA website
- Approve AIEA member listserv messages
- Monitor metrics and trends within the industry
- As needed: support AIEA publications
Communications: Annual Conference
- Manage and implement campaigns for conference call for promotions and registration promotion, including advertisements, social media, targeted email campaigns, and one-on-one targeted outreach.
- Create resources for Board members and Conference Committee members to assist in promotions.
- Manage all pre/post-conference promotion.
- Work with Associate Director for initial promotion of partnership/sponsorship opportunities.
- Work with Conference Planner on signage needs and production on-site.
- Manage LinkedIn Conference group annually.
- Coordinate communications to and process for conference delegations
- Create conference publication (stand-alone or part of larger program) with information about AIEA programs, board, awards, etc.
- Step in on-site at the conference as needed at the conference at any time for support tasks that arise
Support AIEA Governance:
- Support Executive Director, Associate Director, AIEA Board, Executive Committee, and AIEA Committee Chairs as requested and needed
- Provide comprehensive support in AIEA’s short and long-term strategic plan
- Serve as liaison to AIEA committees and taskforces as needed.
Supervise Student Workers and Volunteers:
Hire, evaluate, and supervise any membership or communications-related volunteers
Skills and Knowledge required
- Knowledge about association trends and experience working with member associations
- Strong communications and social media background
- Strong ability to recruit and maintain members
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills; ability to work harmoniously with other staff and senior leaders
- Ability to prioritize work under multiple deadlines and to work successfully with minimal supervision with positive attitude
- Excellent analytical, written, and verbal communication skills
- Exemplary attention to detail
- High level of professionalism
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Customer service mentality and willingness to go the extra mile for members
- Ability to anticipate and meet needs
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Team player mentality
- Ability to self‐motivate, take initiative, and multi‐task
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite (i.e., Word, Excel, Powerpoint). Experienced in producing, editing, and uploading digital content to social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Hootsuite, etc.
- Graphic design experience highly desired
- Experience with member associations
- Bachelor degree (in a field related to communications or business preferred). Masters degree desirable
- 3-5 years project communications and/or membership recruitment experience
How to apply:
Send resume, cover letter, and required writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required Writing samples:
- Create 5 sample social media posts (Facebook, LinkedIn, or Twitter) using information you glean from www.aieaworld.org.
- Provide a short writing sample of about 300 words. This can be a blog post you have written in the past or something you create for this. We are looking for clarity in your writing, your style and tone, and your overall readability.
- If you have any supplemental examples of past work you would like to share (reports with communications metrics, sample emails or newsletters, example recruitment or retention plans), please feel free to include this information.
The Association of International Education Administrators is a member organization that equips leaders to shape the future of higher education in a global context.
AIEA members embrace the following values:
Ethical and Innovative Leadership
AIEA members are guided by respect for the dignity and rights of one another, and operate on the principles of civility, integrity, and professionalism to advance the internationalization of higher education and to make meaningful contributions to society.
Equity and Inclusive Excellence
AIEA members adhere to the tenets of fairness and reciprocity to integrate diverse voices in developing the strategy, policies, practices, and structures of higher education in a global context.
Curiosity and Respect
AIEA members recognize and value the benefit in learning from one another’s experience and expertise and are willing to engage in the free exchange of ideas through dialogue and collaboration.
AIEA members come from a variety of backgrounds, and so do we. We intentionally cultivate a diverse team not only because it is the right thing to do, but because we believe that a variety of perspectives and experiences make us a stronger team. If you share the values of AIEA, you will find a home at AIEA.