Hiring: City of Raleigh, Parks Development & Communication
Job Type: Full-Time
This class is the first level in a three-level Communications Series devoted to creating and disseminating visual, digital, written and spoken information about the City. Incumbents provide crisis and emergency public information, and professional communications support to management and elected officials by performing journey-level public information and public affairs work on behalf of the City and or a city department. Work may include handling media inquiries; providing media training; writing or editing news releases; writing scripts; handling citizen inquiries; managing internal and external communications, as assigned; developing communication plans; developing and managing collateral material (brochures, inserts, newsletters); assisting with budget management, as assigned; field producing of video and broadcast events; taking photos; managing on-line content and web pages; managing the City’s social media accounts; participating in meetings and events, as assigned; and serving as on-air or voice talent, as assigned. As assigned, incumbents may serve as lead workers, assigning work and monitoring work completion or may supervise paraprofessional and/or support staff including conducting performance evaluations, coordinating training, and implementing hiring, discipline and termination procedures.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesEssential Duties:
- Prepares, edits and designs publications and brochures; reviews and verifies style; coordinates and/or builds graphics and layout; captures, takes and/or selects photographs; prepares and gathers content; and coordinates print materials production.
- Performs research; gathers and evaluates data and information for communication planning and delivery; monitors and recommends communication opportunities and technologies that align with goals and strategies of assignment; evaluates communications results.
- Serves as a department liaison and provides communications support; assists with media inquiries; coordinates departmental response to information requests and inquiries; participates in meetings; facilitates the provision of responses and solutions to customer concerns.
- Prepares and coordinates content for news releases, announcements, newsletters, and presentations; edits departmental communications; gathers and edits content; writes articles; prepares speaking points; coordinates and evaluates correspondence, management reports, information released to the media.
- Provides website support focusing on community outreach, audience targeting and engagement; plans, creates, monitors and edits web content and campaign communications; coordinates social media communications and selects appropriate platforms.
- Identifies, develops, implement and maintains processes and practices that encourage, support and promote effective, comprehensive and meaningful citizen engagement.
- Provides event and special project coordination and support of promotional items, communications and related resources.
- May provide advice on script, format, layout, design and music for video production.
- Researches sources for promotional items; orders materials; maintains files, data, logs, reports, schedules, digital archives and/or documentation.
- May serve as lead workers, assigning work and monitoring work completion or may supervise paraprofessional and/or support staff including conducting performance evaluations, coordinating training, and implementing hiring, discipline and termination procedures.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Typical QualificationsEducation and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in public relations, communications, public affairs or directly related field and two years of public communications experience.
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements set forth in law or regulation.
Valid NC Driver’s License required
Please attach an example of content that you created that educated or entertained your audience.
Additional InformationKnowledge of:
- Practices, concepts and methods of graphic design and print production.
- Practices and guidelines of news writing and editing.
- Principles and applications of critical thinking and analysis.
- Principles and methods of qualitative and quantitative research.
- Business math concepts.
- Best practices, trends and emerging technologies.
- Applicable federal, state and local laws, codes, regulations (based on assignment).
- Customer service principles.
- Specialized equipment relevant to area of assignment.
- Modern office technology.
- Planning, preparing, designing and editing communications materials.
- Gathering data, analyzing findings and applying logic and reason.
- Coordinating deadlines and prioritizing competing demands.
- Monitoring schedules, status and compliance.
- Researching industry trends, solutions and best practices.
- Compiling and sorting data and articulating issues and recommendations.
- Authoring and preparing original reports, documents and presentations.
- Organizing and maintaining records and files.
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, codes, regulations and standards (based on assignment).
- Providing customer service.
- Utilizing a computer and relevant software applications.
- Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisors, the general public and others to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
To submit other job openings, fill out this form